Thursday 17 May 2012

Why I write!


“Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self” Cyril Connelly
Reasons why I write:
1.       As a form of escapism – I write mainly to escape my troubles and woes; I find that when I’m in pain or feeling low; my writing is at its best. Sounds tragic, but sometimes the best works in art comes from channeling some sort of pain. When I pick up a pen I know that magic will happen. I will be whisked away to a far away land where my problems and anxiety will not follow. Yes, they shape what I write at times, but with my pen at my side I become invincible. I am untouchable. My sidekick and I understand each other like siamese twins joined at the heart.  Writing enables me to go anywhere I want, I can do anything, nothing is impossible. I can shine!

2.       To vent – This goes hand in hand with number one – most of the time I use my writing to vent, I take out all my frustrations on the page until the pen bleeds. It allows me to say the things I wouldn’t dare say out loud for fear of rebuttal or reprisal. I can unleash my wrath for all to see disguised in literary prose and colourful language. It comforts me by giving me a much needed outlet for release. Writing is my opium! My Redbull - giving me wings to soar high above the sky. Why get high when I can pick my pen and fly?

3.       To create – When I look back at some of the pieces that I have written I am in awe. In awe, because I cannot believe that I wrote it - my thoughts and feelings are there in living colour. However insignificant some of my past stories may seem to some, to me they are works of art. I may not be Stephen King or Carol Ann Duffy but you know what, I don’t care. I am a creator; my masterpieces are there for all to see. If you buy it, cool, if not then that’s cool too, they still exist - hanging over my mantlepiece. 

4.       Love - I love to write. Simple as that. My pen and I are one. To seperate one from the other would be catastrophic. Writing lives in me and I live for it. It’s a hobby, my passion, my love.   

2 comments:

  1. You speak the truth! I have 3 books just filled with anger, love, humour and anything that just fell out of my head. It's the best feeling in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is nothing else like it!

    ReplyDelete